Participation & Information
BECOMING A PANTHER ATHLETE
Welcome to the Glen Edwards Middle School Athletics’ Program. GEMS is a part of the Foothill Intermediate School Athletic League (FISAL), which offers nine sports played at a competitive level. The league is governed by CIF Rules and FISAL Bylaws.
Foothill Intermediate Scholastic Athletic League (FISAL)
- SPORTS OFFERED
- ATHLETE GUIDELINES
- PARTICIPATION REQUIREMENTS
- SPORTS PACKET & REQUIRED FORMS
- COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS
Expectation of Student Athletes
It’s the expectation that student athletes will represent themselves as well as the school in their Athletic Activities as well as while on school campus. This includes being positive, productive, and professional with peers and staff.
Athletes are students first. Attendance is a critical component to education, and student-athletes need to uphold positive attendance. In order to participate in an Athletic Event, including practices, the students has to be on campus for at least four periods on the day of the event. Students who leave campus early for anything unexcused or illness will not be eligible to participate in the practice or Athletic Event that day.
All student/athletes who wish to participate in an athletic activity at Lincoln High School must meet the following requirements:
Have earned a 2.0 GPA and have no more than one “F” for the grading period prior to their participation and for each succeeding grading period during participation. (Incoming 6th graders use final 5th grade report card).
Meet standards of satisfactory citizenship.
If a student/athlete is eligible at the beginning, and becomes ineligible during a season of sport because he/she is below a 2.0 GPA, he/she remains eligible but will be put on an Academic Contract where behavior and academic minimums have to be met.
Glen Edwards Middle School has insurance policies available for athletes to purchase who may not already have primary insurance. Forms are available in the office and insurance secured before participating. Athletes are responsible for holding their own insurance policies. Whenever an athlete is injured while participating on the school’s team, and is seen by a physician, has any test done or misses practices due to injury, the following procedure should be followed:
Report all injuries to the coach as soon as possible.
Obtain the doctor’s findings, restrictions, etc. in writing, and give these to the coach and administration. Athletes must be released by the physician in writing before resuming any practice or playing.
When using the school’s purchased insurance policy, contact the school office for a claim form, if necessary. Parents should only need one claim form per injury to be completed and mailed directly to the insurance company
Voluntary Athletic Contribution (VAC)
Each student athlete is requested to make a Voluntary Athletic Contribution as part of his/her participation in the Athletic Program. A voluntary minimum of ten dollars ($10.00) for each sport is appreciated. These funds will be used to help offset the expenses of our Athletic Program including but not limited to: equipment, league fees, uniforms, officiating and referees. Without these items our sports program cannot survive.
GEMS may solicit and accept donations from parents but it is important to understand that a VAC is voluntary and is not a requirement for participating in an educational activity, including athletics. If interested in supporting GEMS Athletics please submit the following VAC form to the GEMS office. Our students and athletes are thankful for any support you may be able offer.
VAC - (Voluntary Athletic Contribution)
To be eligible for sports you must:
- Fill out and submit the Google Form/Survey located below
- All students must have a current PHYSICAL on file with the school (current means within the past year).
- All students must turn in a Sudden Cardiac Arrest Form signed by BOTH student and parent
- All students must turn in a Participant Waiver/COVID-19 Form signed by BOTH student and parent.
- Completed signed forms can be dropped off in the main GEMS office, scanned and emailed to email@example.com or faxed to (916)645-6379.
- NO CHILD WILL BE ALLOWED TO PRACTICE OR PARTICIPATE WITHOUT THE PROPER FORMS. NO ACCEPTIONS WILL BE GRANTED.
Please fill out the GOOGLE FORM below and turn in the three forms to the main office.
MUST DO THIS FIRST - CLICK HERE FOR GOOGLE FORM/SURVEY
In addition to this, it is required you PRINT, SIGN and RETURN the following documents to the school before participating in practice or competitions.
1) Sudden Cardiac Arrest Form (Student & Parent Signature Required)
2) Participant COVID Waiver (Student & Parent Signature Required)
3) Sport Physical (Dated within the past year and signed by a Doctor)
Completed forms can be dropped off in the main office, faxed to (916)645-6379, or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Irrespective of setting or case rate or sport played, the following general guidance requirements must be adhered to at all times:
- Face coverings to be worn when not participating in the activity (e.g., on the sidelines).
- Face coverings to be worn by coaches, support staff and observers at all times, and in compliance with the CDPH Guidance for the Use of Face Coverings.
- Face coverings worn by participants during practice, conditioning and during competition, even during heavy exertion as tolerated. See the American Academy of Pediatrics Interim Guidance on Return to Sports  for specific exceptions where the face-covering may become a hazard.
- Observers maintain at least 6 feet from non-household members.
- No sharing of drink bottles and other personal items and equipment.
- Mixing with other households prior to and post any practice or competition must strictly adhere to current gathering guidance.
- Teams must not participate in out-of-state games and tournaments; several multistate outbreaks have been reported around the nation, including California residents.
What it will look like at practice:
- Students will have to come back to campus. Practice cannot be held right after school. Practice will start at 3:00 and end at 4:15.
- Face coverings MUST be worn as students come back on campus. They will be told where to wait for the coaches. They will come to a central area and when they start their activities masks can be removed.
- Locker rooms will NOT be available for the students before, during, or after practice.
- When the student’s activities are completed they will be expected to put their masks back on. When they leave campus they should have their masks on until they are off the property.
- Students run practice courses on and off-campus with supervision. As long as they are participating in the activity they do NOT need to wear a mask. It is only when the activity is over they have to put their mask back on.
What Meets will Look like:
- The same rules for mask wear apply during meets. If students are not in a competition they will be expected to wear a mask.
- There will be two meets as of now. One of the meets will be sponsored by GEMS and the other will be TBMS.
- If more teams in our league decide to participate we will add more meets.
Limitations on Observers
- Limit observation of youth sports (age 18 years and under) to immediate household members, and for the strict purpose of age-appropriate supervision. This includes observation of practice and competition. Limit the number of observers to ensure physical distance can be maintained, reduce potential crowding, and maintain indoor and outdoor capacity limits.
- Consider Video streaming of games so that they can be watched "live" from home
- For adult sports, spectators are not permitted at this time.